Re: Can't add usb stick as installation media (was: Network install)

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> 1. Boot into your Wheezy install and login as root.
>
> 2. Insert the USB stick. There should be a message on the screen giving
>    you a device name. I get sdg.
>
> 3. The netinst is on the first partition, sdg1. Use dmesg to check. I
>    have 'sdg: sdg1'.
>
> 4. I'll mount my partition:
>
>      mount /dev/sdg1 /mnt
>
>    I'm told it is mounted read-only.
>
> 5. Now I'll add the USB stick to /etc/apt/sources.list.
>
>      apt-cdrom -m --no-auto-detect -d /mnt add
>
>    I'm told the disc is scanned for index files and a new source list is
>    written. I can check by looking at /etc/apt/sources.list. Edit the
>    file to comment out all lines apart from this one.
>
> 6. apt-get update
>
> 7. apt-get install ppp
>
> 8. Tell us where you went wrong before. :)

After `apt-get install ppp', the system requires inserting a CD-ROM.  It does
not accept the USB stick.

The problem is reported here:

for Wheezy, but I find it even with Jessie.  I think it's important because an
usb stick is much practical than a CD-ROM or a DVD, so it would be important to
have the possibility of installing Debian with such a device doing without
CD-ROMs and DVDs.

Thanks,

Rodolfo