Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

On Sun 08 Feb 2015 at 18:45:16 +0530, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

> Installed Debian
> Installed Emacs24.4 from backports
> Installed R from debian CRAN vide instructions from CRAN site
> Installed Rstudio.deb community edition from Rstudio site
> While installing packages via Rstudio, lCurl fails due to the error I
> documented in prior posts
>
> You and Brian now recommend libcurl4-* from backports which will
> download a boatload of other stuff just to get this swirl/Lcurl
> package working.
>
> 1. Do I have to uninstall & reinstall the cran packages, Rstudio before
> proceeding?  And this needs to be done from backports?

No uninstallation is necessary when you get libcurl4-openssl-dev from
backports.

> 2.  Will this impact Rstudio installation if the R install is from
> backports?

You may have more confidence in the outcome if you read and noted what
is said about backports on the rstudio site. I believe the answer is
"no".

> 3.  And if I do get the above working, how will my planned upgrade to
> Jessie affect the installed packages from backports.

Packages originally from the Debian Wheezy and backports will simply be
upgraded. The rstudio site mentions a new Jessie cran archive.

> I think I'm confused whether I should remember that some bits of
> software are from backports and it's incumbent on me to track all this
> while upgrading to Jessie or installing anything else from stable.  I
> really don't want to do that and if Debian takes care of the magic in
> the background, that'd be wonderful.

Change "wheezy" to "jessie" in sources.list for all archives. Update,
upgrade and finally dist-upgrade with apt-get. This is all the magic you
require. :)