Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 11:40:05 AM UTC+5:30, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 20/02/2015, Bob Proulx  wrote:
> > Bret Busby wrote:
> >> The Debian 7.60 LXDE LiveCD does not have an option to boot into rescue
> >> mode.
> >
> > You could always download the standard debian-installer and use that
> > to boot rescue mode.  It is a very good option.
> >

> In trying to use a standard Debian installer iso, and booting into
> rescue mode, I got toa screen "select partition into which to install
> the root system", or words to that effect.
>
> I have 13 partitions, and that screen does not provide any
> information, such as labels or filesystem types, for the partitions,
> so I have to figure out which is the appropriate partition to use as
> the root system. It does not indicate anything like "A previous Debian
> installation was found in partition <x>, so you might want to use this
> partition."
>
> So, I have to remove the disk with that iso image, boot with a LiveCD
> disk, and, examine the partitions.
>
> The laptop computer, to which all of this appiles, whilst being (to
> me) a fairly powerful computer, has an inferior optical disk drive,
> that appears to be designed to be as diffiocult as possible, to
> manually open, often taking uip to 20-30 minutes, to get it to open
> manually, to remove or replace the removable optical disk.
>
> Often, software, including operating system installation iso images,
> include a software utility, that ejects the optical disk.
>
> The Debian 7.8 installation iso image that I downloaded, both in the
> rescue mode, and, in the main menu, does not include an option "Abort
> installation", at any step that I encountered, wherein, an "Abort
> installation" option, involves ejecting the removable media, and a
> message "Remove the <removable media and press <ENTER> to reboot."
>
> On this laptop PC, that appears designed to obstruct manual ejection
> of removable media, software induced ejection of the optical removable
> media, constistently works without any problem.
>
> Why does the Debian standard installation iso image, not include an
> "Abort installation" option (at each screen, although, even, a single
> instantiation, on the primary menu, would help, by rebooting the
> system into that menu, to do it, if that is the only way to access
> that option), that would enable ejection of the removable media with
> the iso image, instead of making this so difficult, to extract the
> removable media with the iso image?

Have you tried configfile?

configfile is a grub command that can be used to 'connect' to grub
eg

1. if your (working) debian's root is in /dev/sda5
   Then at the grub prompt try issuing the command
   configfile (hd0,5)/boot/grub/grub.cfg

2. If however your boot is a separate partition (say sda2) the command would be
   configfile (hd0,2)/grub/grub.cfg

Note: you may need to fiddle with the secureboot options in bios