Re: debian 8

On 04/04/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 01:26:35 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Would gnome-session-flashback suit you?
>> >

>> I have no idea.
>>
>> In searching for it, the web pages at
>>  https://packages.debian.org/es/jessie/gnome-session-flashback
>> and
>> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomePanel
>> do not include screenshots, so I do not know of its appearance or
>> implied functionality.
>>
>> In Debian 6, with its GNOME 2 interface, I have, at the bottom of the
>> screen, a taskbar below the panel, with the three menu types
>> (Applications, Places,System) at the left end of the panel, and the
>> system monitor applet to the left of the date and time at the right
>> end of the panel.
>>
>> I want to be able to reproduce that in Debian 7 and, Debian 8, if they
>> have the functionality.
>
> I would also warmly recommend Xfce[1], which I've been using for a long
> time. It's much lighter on resources, is quite customizable, and
> provides all the panels and applets you could ever wish for. MATE and
> even Cinnamon might also be good choices for you, I believe both are to
> some extent based on Gnome 2. Personally, I have never looked at MATE,
> but I used Cinnamon for a short time a while back, and thought it was
> quite nice.
>
> Petter
>
> [1] http://xfce.org/

I tried logging in via the xfce interface, a couple of hours ago, and
"got burnt".

I had a few windows open in a web browser, so thought that I would try
to find a screensaver, as I was going out, and I did not want to have
to start again from scratch.

In searching through the menu, in xfce, I found
Settings -> Screensaver, so I figured that that was a facility for
configuring a screensaver.

However, when I selected the Screensaver, from that menu path, it
applied a screensaver, that made what was on the screen, go all fuzzy,
then blank. Then, I could not unlock the screen, and I had to apply a
dirty shutdown (holding the power button down, until the system shut
down), which, upon booting the system, later, required an fsck, as the
system had not had a cleanshutdown.

So, I have found xfce, on Debian 7, to be too dangerous.

Even more incentive to stick with Debian 6, even after the LTS has expired.

It seems that, on the eve of the release of Debian 8, Debian 7 is
still, even less stable and functional, than Debian 6.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."