Re: Slow Xorg performance on dual Opteron + Radeon, Jessie 64-bit

On 8/4/2015 at 8:57 PM, "Chris Edwards" <cedwards@ripples.dyndns.org> wrote:

>Thanks all for your help and suggestions.  I'll summarise what
>further
>testing I've done:
>
>I believe 3D acceleration is working. `glxgears` runs and seems to
>achieve a smooth 60 Hz.  The __memcpy_sse2_unaligned load doesn't
>seem
>to increase due to running glxgears.
>
>glxgears -info reports:
>
>GL_RENDERER   = Gallium 0.4 on ATI R420
>GL_VERSION    = 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2
>GL_VENDOR     = X.Org R300 Project
>
>Perhaps interestingly, `glxinfo -i` reports:
>
>name of display: :0.0
>X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of
>range for
>operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  155 (GLX)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
>   Value in failed request:  0x0
>   Serial number of failed request:  56
>
>I'm not using anything fancy in terms of desktop environment: just
>the
>Notion (formerly Ion3) window manager plus a few accessories.
>

>Running `dpkg -S /lib/firmware/radeon/R420_cp.bin` returns:
>dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern
>/lib/firmware/radeon/R420_cp.bin
>
>Not sure where that firmware file would have originated
>from...it's
>possible I copied it from elsewhere when I first installed Jessie
>and
>forgot that I'd done it!
>

>`lspci | grep -i vga`:
>02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
>[AMD/ATI] R420 [Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition AGP]
>

>`lsmod | grep video` returns nothing, but I do have the following:
>
>radeon               1345162  2
>ttm                    77862  1 radeon
>drm_kms_helper         49210  1 radeon
>drm                   249955  5 ttm,drm_kms_helper,radeon
>

>Out of curiosity, I did try installing firmware-linux-nonfree, and
>`dpkg
>-S /lib/firmware/radeon/R420_cp.bin` now reports:
>firmware-linux-nonfree: /lib/firmware/radeon/R420_cp.bin
>
>After rebooting, the sluggish redrawing and excessive time spent
>in
>Xorg/__memcpy_sse2_unaligned is still there. :(
>
>Thanks again!
>Chris
>

>--

To make sure that 3D acceleration is working run

glxinfo | grep render

You should get two lines of output:

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI ...

The last part depends on your graphics card.

I don't know whether 3D acceleration is related to the sluggish redrawing though.

You mentioned that you are using xorg.conf. Could you post it or its device section?

NY