Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

On 2015-08-10 13:02:07 +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > On my Debian/unstable machine, Alt-space gives a normal space in
> > xterm. There must be something else in the user's config.
>
> Do you have any "Translation" among the xterm resources ?
>
>   appres XTerm | fgrep ransl

Well, it seems that there's some confusion. By "Alt", I meant the
ISO_Level3_Shift key, which is bound to the physical Alt and AltGr
keys in my keyboard configuration. This is the typical key to get
alternate characters. I have some translations, but whether I use
them or not, I get the same result with this modifier: a normal
space.

Now, there's the Meta key (mod1, bound to the physical Windows key in
my keyboard configuration), often called Alt in other applications,
which gives the Escape character because I've set eightBitInput to
false. Without this setting, I get ISO-8859-1 characters (translated
into UTF-8): the ASCII character with the 8th bit set. For space,
0x20 is changed to 0x80|0x20 = 0xA0, which is the NO-BREAK SPACE in
ISO-8859-1. IMHO, eightBitInput = true (the default) does not make
much sense.