Re: pptp-based vpn

Quoting John Hasler (jhasler@newsguy.com):
> tomas writes:
> > To me, it's just a thinly veiled way of moving things to a flat-tax
> > scheme, for the benefit of the rich (yes, I know about the official
> > rationale)
>
> Don't you mean a head tax?  "Flat tax" usually refers to a tax that is a
> fixed percentage of all income (or of all expenditures, which comes to
> the same thing).

In the UK, tomas's tax would be called a "poll tax", and the
replacement of residential rates (on houses) by a poll tax (on people)
caused riots in the 1990s before the rates came back in a different
guise. In effect, that so-called "poll tax" *was* a poll tax because
one way people avoided it was by not putting themselves on the
Electoral Register, so losing their vote.

Cheers,
David.