Re: How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?

Quoting Vincent Lefevre (vincent@vinc17.net):

> > Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > It is written "Alt" on US keyboards, and "Alt Gr" on US-International
> > > and non-US keyboards.
> >
> > As X events mine are distinguished as Alt_L and Alt_R.
> > (After all the translation stories i am not sure whether
> >  this is true on all QWERTY keyboards.)
>
> Just like you can differentiate the two Shift keys and the two
> Ctrl keys.
>
> > > You can fill a feature request for xterm to have
> > > NO-BREAK SPACE displayed in some given color (a bit like what
> > > Emacs does in a terminal) or in some alternative way.
> >
> > I guess it is a matter of font whether there is a visible glyph.
>
> In general, one wants NO-BREAK SPACE to be displayed just like a space.

Why would I want a character that doesn't behave as a space to be
displayed as a normal space? (For example, in the shell, as in the
OP's original question.) It seems a recipe for confusion at best,
and for exploits at worst.

> The differentiation is useful mainly in source code
> and when editing, thus it must be done by the application via
> configuration (actually applications running in the terminal
> rather than the terminal itself).

If I have read this thread thoroughly enough, I don't think any of
it is specifically aimed at VCs, so I've posed a question in
another thread.

Cheers,
David.