Re: Another system management tool to disappear.

On 2015-09-01 at 07:38, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 11:36:26AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2015-08-31 at 10:49, Christian Seiler wrote:
>>
>>> On 08/31/2015 02:33 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> The Subject line is an overstatement, yes, but it's not an
>> entirely baseless one. Consider:
>
> [...]
>
>> * Therefore, the only way to avoid the friction which arises from
>> that interaction and its undesirable results is to either not use
>> su or not use systemd. (And not using systemd is an increasingly
>> pushing-against-the-current proposition. It's possible, but it's
>> becoming less and less the default.)
>
> Just a question: have you ever considered seriously *doing* anything
> about that?
>
> I ask because I'd like myself and I'd like to get an idea whether
> there's enough community for that. No flamewars, no mud-slinging,
> just *doing*.

I've considered it, but - to borrow a phrase from a fragment of
discussion I took part in with Russ Allbery once - I didn't, and don't,
have the spare cycles to do much about it myself.

I was planning to watch the various attempts at alternatives and forks
which people were starting (such as uselessd, already mentioned here on
the list), and investigate them more deeply once I was distanced enough
from the original arguments that I had stress-level depth to spare for
it. So far that hasn't happened, though, and apparently at least some of
these projects have already been abandoned...

--
   The Wanderer