Re: Getting a serial console to work on Jessie

Am 01.09.2015 um 18:13 schrieb David Parker:
> And still not in the same way that they appear on Wheezy ("/sbin/getty
> 38400 tty1", etc.).  If I add the line for the serial console to
> /etc/inittab and reload the init deamon, or even reboot the PC, it simply
> does nothing.  No getty process shows up on ttyS0, and no serial console is
> available.
>
> I know the serial port itself works, because I can connect to it from my
> laptop, then do "screen /dev/ttyS0 9600" on the PC and see characters in
> the screen session as I type them on the laptop.  So the serial port works,
> and I/O seems to work, but I can't seem to start a persistent getty process
> on that port and access the console through it.

Reading your description, I assume you have systemd-sysv installed and
systemd is your active PID 1. systemd no longer reads /etc/inittab, so
any configuration changes there don't have any effect.

getty's are started on demand by systemd-logind [1] and then show up as
instances of getty@.service, e.g. getty@tty1.service.
If you wanted to see your currently running instances you could use
something like "systemctl list-units | grep getty@"

For getty's on a serial console, there is a serial-getty@.service unit,
which is also started on demand.

If for some reason you want to enable those units statically, i.e.
always start them during boot, then this is no problem either.
Run
systemctl enable getty@tty2.service
systemctl enable getty@tty3.service
..