Re: burning BlueRay which software/drive/media

Hi,

Thomas (not me) wrote:
> I try do burn BlueRay disk.
> I have an HL-DT-ST and have used
> #wodim

wodim with BD can only work by accident. :))

> #growisofs

growisofs can do. There are some known bugs, though.

> I have reduced the burn speed but writing is still failed

What does growisofs report when it fails ?

> # growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -R -speed=1 -input-charset utf-8 -J /tmp/data
> # wodim -v speed=1 dev=/dev/sr0 /tmp/data

One of these runs must be wrong. growisofs in above form will pack up
/tmp/data in an ISO 9660 filesysten by help of genisoimage or mkisofs.
wodim expects /tmp/data to be a medium image file which it will copy
directly onto /dev/sr0.

So what is your use case:
- wrap a file or directory tree into ISO 9660 and burn this to BD ?
- burn an image file (e.g. some .iso) onto BD ?

> Is there any other programm

I develop libburn which is used underneath Xfburn, Brasero (optionally),
cdrskin, and xorriso.

The following xorriso runs would do about what above runs of growisofs
and wodim do.
Put directory tree /tmp/data into an ISO 9660 filesystem and burn to
BD-RE or blank BD-R :

  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -blank as_needed -joliet on -map /tmp/data / -speed 1

(I leave out -local_charset "utf-8" because i first would like to
 know the reason why you want to override your shell environment setting.)
(You will hardly find a BD drive which does BD-R at 1x speed.
 If you insist in setting speed to 1, drives will use the lowest speed,
 that is supported with the given medium.)

Burn image file /tmp/data onto BD-RE or blank BD:

  xorriso -as cdrecord -v speed=1 dev=/dev/sr0 /tmp/data

Be invited to try the one which matches your use case.

There is also cdrecord from cdrtools by Joerg Schilling (not in Debian,
but i could point to a binary which i made last year).

> or is the problem the writer and/or typ of media

You would have to tell exactly what the failing program runs reported.

Glenn English wrote:
> XFCE's GUI burner program does BluRays like a champ.

That would be Xfburn.

Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> At least in testing there's cdrskin.

Already the version in oldstable should do BD, as does xorriso.
Xfburn's use of libburn's BD capabilities is quite recent (about two years).

David Christensen wrote:
> I'm on Wheezy and use xorriso:

Thank you for flying xorriso.

Michael Lange wrote:
> k3b automatically uses Schilling's tools as default.

I believe K3B uses growisofs as default for BD. At least one should
check the log which programs got employed by a successful or failed run.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas