Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Saturday 01 October 2016 01:39:35 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 22:48:38 (+0100), Brian wrote:

> > > Their use of "developed by" is rather jaw-dropping as well.
> > > Perhaps they mean it in the sense of "maintained by", but I think
> > > most people
> >
> > No, they mean "developed by...".
> >
> > > would read it as "created by" which is blatantly untrue.
> >
> > Most people have an understanding of language (which you appear to
> > lack) and would read it as "developed by...".
>
> I think that was rude and uncalled for.
>
> The clever thing about the web page is the careful omission of a comma
> after system, so that the sentence gets read as
>
> C is the S   that is   developed by A
>
> rather than
>
> C is the S,   which was   developed by A.
>
> My observation is that most computer software websites credit the
> original authors/creators/developers in a place easily found by
> casual visitors. I haven't found any mention of Sweet outside the
> blog, and only a mere two occurrences there.
>
> Going back to your point about the logo, it's very odd that although
> "CUPS, the CUPS logo, and macOS are trademarks of Apple Inc.",
> http://www.apple.com/legal/intellectual-property/trademark/appletmlist
>.html makes no mention of CUPS or its logo, and I would appreciate
> anyone pointing out an example on the CUPS website. Its absence may be
> because Apple don't like putting it on the web as it has "UNIX"
> prominently displayed. The only legible occurrence I can see on my
> screen is the big one on the CUPS homepage. The logo that sits on
> every page appears to be deliberately fuzzy.
>
> As for the meaning of "develop", you seem to have been influenced by
> that fatuous sentence "Brexit means Brexit"! In the normal world,
> one of the meanings of "develop" is "create". For example,
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/develop
>
>  transitive verb
>
>  2 b : to create or produce especially by deliberate effort over time
>        <develop new ways of doing business> <develop software>
>
> Is this an unusual meaning in the context of computer software?
> Let's look at some great software creations and how they are reported:
>
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-whatTeX.html
> "Knuth developed the first version of TeX in 1978 to deal with ..."
>
> https://www.fsf.org/news/richard-stallman-inducted-into-the-2013-inter
>net-hall-of-fame "Stallman developed a number of widely used software
> components of GNU ..."
>
> http://www.few.vu.nl/en/news-events/news-archive/2016/jan-mrt/30th-ann
>iversary-andrew-tanenbaums-minix.aspx "Emeritus professor Andrew
> Tanenbaum developed this operating system while ..."
>
> http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-05-1998/swol-05-perl.html
> "Larry Wall developed Perl in 1987 to simplify administrative
> reporting ..."
>
> http://www.gocertify.com/articles/python-is-the-holy-grail-so-to-speak
>-of-programming-languages.html "Ultimately Rossum developed a language
> and interpreter that immediately ..."
>
> http://memim.com/lame.html
> [...]

Apple, unfortunately, seems bent on doing a microsoft to cups.

The most cogent post I can find on the cups blog states:
===================
In February of 2007, Apple Inc. acquired ownership the CUPS source code
and hired me (Michael R Sweet), the creator of CUPS.

CUPS will still be released under the existing GPL2/LGPL2 licensing
terms, and I will continue to develop and support CUPS at Apple.

Answers to questions about the change of ownership can be found on the
frequently asked questions page.
putting the apple beaurocracy between the user and Mike.

This is not a Good Thing IMO. For instance, debian wheezy is stuck on
cups-1.53, well over 6 years old. It does however, work well. I can
print to either of the printers sitting to the right of me from any of
the other 4 machines currently up and running on my little home network,
so I've no beef with printing here at the coyote.den other than my
latest ink squirter is running at 5% of its advertised speed, and seems
bent of making its starter ink cartridges last till the rapture.  Washed
out prints seem to be the order of the day.  But it also can handle
11x17" paper.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)