ifconfig question (recovered from hijacked thread )

On 10/09/2016 04:23 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
I'm not the OP, and I'm sort of piggybacking and going somewhat (or a lot?)
OT, but I am curious about how old inet4 (right term?) and the new inet6
addresses interact.

When I do ifconfig, I see that eth0 has both a 32 bit (e.g., 192.168.1.19) and
an inet6 address assigned.

Can anybody point me to a fairly short document that explains things like
which gets used under what circumstances, does one have precedence over the
other, do they both use DNS, and similar things which might let me make sense
of the situation?

Don't hijack another thread, send a new mail with an appropriate subject line like the one on this message. That way you're more likely to get the help you need, and it's just proper list edicate.

Good luck
tony (OP of the thread you tried to hijack)

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
translations, localization,