Re: list installed packages present only in stable

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 6:16 AM, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 08:48:46PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>> How can I list all the packages installed on my system that are
>> currently part of the stable distribution but not present in either
>> testing or sid?
>
> This is a good question (sorry I don't have the answer here). I recently
> hit a similar situation with mediawiki, which exists in everything except
> stable. I realised that if you have upgraded between Debian versions at
> some point, you might have some packages installed from the former release
> (now oldstable) that are not in current release, and so you might not get
> security updates for those packages (once security updates cease for
> oldstable).
>
> In the case of mediawiki there is a version in jessie-backports, but default
> pining rules / apt preferences would not upgrade the package automatically in
> this situation.

Hi Jonathan,

Not sure if you read the entire thread, I ended up writing a script to
do this now. So, if you want to see packages that are currently
installed on your system but not part of jessie, you can do the
following.

Step 1: Update the cache
 % grep_installed.py --exclude-dists 'jessie' --update-cache
Processed: http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
Processed: http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
Processed: http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
writing: /home/rajulocal/.cache/grep_insalled/jessie.gz

Step 2: Query the cache on the list of installed packages
 % dpkg -l  | grep '^ii' | awk '{print $2}' | grep_installed.py
--exclude-dists 'jessie'

Could you give it a try and let me know what you think?
The script can be downloaded from
https://gitlab.com/d3k2mk7/rutils/blob/master/bin/grep_installed.py .
Running it with -h option gives the set of options and some sample
commands.

thanks
raju
--