Re: Invoking ddrescue

Hi,

Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm tangled up !! I plead for 5 or 6 lines to copy-n-paste.

My proposal deviates from some aspects of your original plan.

I would try something like

  ddrescue -p /dev/sdc1 /mnt/my_sdb6/my_sdc1 /mnt/my_sdb6/sdc1_log

Details:

  /dev/sdc1              is a partition of the defective disk.
  /mnt/my_sdb6           is the mount point of the filesystem on your
                         partition sdb6.
  /mnt/my_sdb6/my_sdc1   is the data file name for the copied data.
  /mnt/my_sdb6/sdc1_log  records what ddrescue might need for further read
                         attempts.
  -p creates the data file with full size (i understand), so that you know
     early when your filesystem is full.

Why:

Copying disk to partition is not the best thing to do if you want
to use the copy result directly.
If the original disk contains partitions - even if it is only a single
one -, then each should get into a separate storage container. So you
can mount these containers.

Storage container can be a whole disk device, a partition of a disk
device, or a data file in a large filesystem which can represent
large files (i.e. a normal Linux filesystem in a large partition).

Most normal and harmless to use is a filesystem.
So if you have a partition which is large enough for the whole original
disk, then i advise to equip it with a filesystem (by e.g. mkfs) and
to mount it somewhere (e.g. as /mnt/my_sdb6).

Have a nice day :)

Thomas