Re: install recommended by default?

On Sat 12 Nov 2016 at 23:44:56 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> David Wright composed on 2016-11-12 22:09 (UTC-0600):
>
> >Select the first item, Preferences and you get UI Options. Again, about
> >30 ↓ keystrokes gets to the line with, and when you're on it, the lower
> >pane displays as above and gives a few lines of explanation. The line is
> >    [X] Install recommended packages automatically
> >Where in that sequence does your aptitude behave differently?
>
> There are two panes, upper and lower, each about half a screen. I assumed
> that the last item showing was the last available option under preferences.
> Now that I know about the additional options, I see, and it does indeed
> report that the default is True.
>
> I suppose it must be that my installer cmdline option
> install-recommends=false must be taken into account, but I'm perplexed that

install-recommends=false means no recommended packages installed when
using d-i and also set it up for the installed system with

  APT::Install-Recommends "false";

in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00InstallRecommends. This will prevail for apt
*and* aptitude.

> multiple Jessie installations have the same Nov. 2015 timestamp on
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00InstallRecommends while including False instead of the
> reported default True.

Similar timestamps? Installed on the same day? Check timestamps on
directories.

The reported "True" is the hard-coded aptitude default. The "Value" will
be shown as "False" because of 00InstallRecommends.

--
Brian.