Re: arm people distributing images with user 1000 already allocated, please stop that

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 14:17:52 -0500
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> Only then could I load up the software I needed to do the job I
> bought 3 of these SBC's to do.  Not even the first user can "sudo apt
> install" anything that is not in the supplied repo list. So even he
> cannot actually put a raspberry pi 3b to work doing much but browsing
> the web or doing email.

Don't forget that most of the midget computers are ARM-based, that the
ARM architecture bears no resemblance to that of the i386/amd64, and
that porting software isn't generally just a matter of setting a few
compiler switches. Many ARMs don't have a numeric coprocessor, the
original ARM2 being contemporary with the *real* i386, which needed an
i387.

The result is that ARM software lags behind that for the popular PC
architectures, and that there are many fewer packages in the ARM
repositories than for the traditional architectures.

--
Joe