Re: Detect upgradable packages in shell script ran as a non-root user

One of the problems you will have with many (any?) of the solutions
proposed is they rely on the current state of your local apt package
metadata cache. Which is to say, if that is not up-to-date, then you
are only going to get stale information; and you need to be root to
update it.

I would suggest installing and enabling unattended-upgrades iiwy.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.