Re: Manually installed packages

On 12/1/16, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 30 Nov 2016 at 08:47:21 (-0500), Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> so I'm just as confused as Rodolfo
>> and I think for good reasons.
>
> I don't know whether Rodolfo is still confused after the explanation
> I gave. AFAICT once you realise that manual means "not marked as auto"
> rather than "I installed this by typing apt* <packagename>", then it's
> fairly obvious that "manual" is a bucket term that includes, for
> example, packages installed by the debian-installer because they're
> essential, with Priority: required.
>
> I can't remember installing bash or grep, but they're certainly not
> auto, so they're going to be "unmarked auto", or "marked non-auto",
> or "marked manual". I think I'll stick to the last. What would
> you prefer?

What you're saying here, I'd never noticed anything beyond that the
"set to manually installed" message occurs to packages I am, in fact,
manually installing.. It never occurred to me to ponder that packages
might come out of the box that way and that there might be a reason
for them to do so.

>> There might be technical reasons behind
>> the way it currently works, but I think this qualifies as a bug (maybe
>> a UI bug, maybe a coding bug, maybe a doc bug).
>
> *What* qualifies as a bug...that you're confused?

That's why I chimed in with my part again. Can't remember what you
said the other day, but it helped trigger the thought process to
connect this all directly to the "set to manually installed"
advisement I (regularly) receive from apt-get. It's a no-brainer to me
to feel that there is surely some predictable purposeful purpose for
the *auto*magically generated "set to manually installed" feature I
accidentally trigger (regularly). :)

Thanks for you insight. As has been to date, this is an "of least
concern" kind of thing for me because nothing within my own system
seems affected, either positively or negatively. My instinct has been
to a-sume maybe it was a feature that proved of significant value to
practicing developers.... or something like that... there. *grin*

Cindy

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with plastic sporks *