Re: potential damage to Debian "stable" when installing packages from "testing"

On 2016-12-08, Martin T <m4rtntns@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let's say that I need a package named "weechat"(version 1.6-1) from
> Debian "testing":
>
> # apt-get install -t testing weechat
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>   binutils libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc-l10n libc6 libc6-dev libgcrypt20
> libgnutls30 libhogweed4 libncurses5 libn
>   weechat-curses
> Suggested packages:
>   binutils-doc glibc-doc rng-tools gnutls-bin weechat-doc
> Recommended packages:
>   manpages-dev weechat-plugins
>   libc-l10n libgnutls30 libhogweed4 libnettle6
>   binutils libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dev libgcrypt20
> libncurses5 libncursesw5 libp11-kit0 libtasn1-6 li
> 16 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 511 not upgraded.
> Need to get 18.7 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 8,111 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
> #
>
> I guess one should not worry about new packages? However, as seen
> above, such operation would upgrade some packages which are
> dependencies for many other packages. For example libc6, libgcrypt20
> or libncurses5. What are the consequences with that? I would guess it
> shouldn't cause problems because (usually) dependencies require
> version x OR higher. For example libc6 (>= 2.14) or libgcrypt20 (>=
> 1.6.1).
>

> thanks,
> Martin

"Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're
trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian
Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other
Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next
time you install updates." [1]

Fortunately, a later version of weechat is available from
debian-backports.[2] That would be a much safer choice.

1: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
2: https://backports.debian.org/

--

Liam