How do I update the plug-ins in WordPress? Followed wiki.debian.org/WordPress. Says I need ftp server.

Debian 8 server.  all updates applied.

Followed carefully the wiki.debian.org/WordPress instructions. Now WordPress says askimet plugin needs to be updated, but that ftp fails.  I can't update plugin without having a ftp server apparently.  Otherwise WordPress works great.  how do I update the plugins.  wouldn't it be dangerous to have an ftp server?  Or is there some instructions out there for setting up a secure ftp server that works with WordPress.  I have no experience with ftp servers.