Re: Python Alternatives?

Michael Milliman <michael.e.milliman@gmail.com> writes:

> I currently have both Python 2.7 and Python 3.4 installed on my debain
> 8.5 (jessie) system.  The default Python interpreter on the system is
> Python 2.7 (as linked by /usr/bin/python).

The policy for Python in Debian requires that “/usr/bin/python’ is the
default Python 2 interpreter, and ‘/usr/bin/python3’ is the default
Python 3 interpreter.

There is no “default Python interpreter” in Debian. Python 2 and Python
3 are incompatible run-time systems.

> I would prefer [the ‘/usr/bin/python’ interpreter] to be Python 3.4.

That would violate Debian Python policy. You are free to do it on your
own system, but it will likely break many Python packages on Debian, and
you get to keep all the pieces :-)

--
 \      “Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do |
  `\                          so too.” —Voltaire, _Essay On Tolerance_ |