Re: best practices for fighting spam with Debian?

On Friday 16 December 2016 09:58:36 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > At least in the case of delivery to the SPAM box the mail has been
> > actually delivered to the user.
>
> "Technically", yes.

No, not just technically.  Actually.  The recipient then has the choice
whether to ignore it or not.

> > The first one is really the problem, where the mail just vanishes and
> > both the sender and the receiver have no idea where it went.
>
> My point is, that from the user's perspective (at both ends) those
> are more or less equivalent (perhaps the second is even worse,
> because the provider can just "wash his hands")

No, they are not.  If it is delivered to the spam folder it is there and can
be rescued if the recipient wishes.  If it is just dropped the recipient does
not know anything about it, and may do nothing when it might have been
important to do something.

Many users use PASSWORD and 123123 as passwords.  That does not render
passwords pointless.  The fact that some people do not know enough to use
Spam folders differently from deleted mail is not a reason why the rest of us
should have our email dropped.

Lisi