Re: Black Screen on First Boot

Dan Norton composed on 2016-12-17 20:57 (UTC-0500):

Felix Miata wrote:

 > It's probably time to either switch to a newer PC, or try a less
 > demanding DE, or even another distro, if the Debian installer is making
 > it too hard for you to avoid Gnome...

Thanks for your help, Felix.

Glad you got it going. :-)

I put the adapter cards back in, and successfully re-installed with Xfce
instead of Gnome. Seems to work pretty well so far. There is some mouse
sluggishness with Firefox (scroll wheel and marking selections) but
other apps seem to not have this problem. Sound card output is excellent.

It might be worth checking to see if xserver-xorg-input-libinput is installed and used rather than the old xserver-xorg-input-mouse, which is not installed here on an even older GeForce2 working nicely in Stretch using TDE on an ancient Athlon XP 2100+ (1733MHz).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/