Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:41 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 April 2017 11:00:34 Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> In the past at least, HP hosted and provided servers and bandwidth for
>> critical Debian build infrastructure, and (still) sponsor a group
>> subscription to LWN for Debian developers. So you could answer "HP"
>> here.  One could look at whoever (possibly still including HP, I
>> haven't checked) provide or host Debian's infrastructure today.
>
> If thats still the case Jonathan, and I suspect you may be in a position
> to confirm or deny, if HP is providing such support to debian, then I'd
> submit that it shouldn't be so well hidden.

I wish I didn't have to put my conspiracy theorist hat on here, but I
suspect that many in HP's management are fearful of upsetting the 800
pound gorilla/elephant in the room.

Neither Microsoft nor Intel seem to have any desire to understand
where the technology on which they so blithely ride their fortunes
came from originally. And they seem quite willing to say one thing and
do another with one hand and use the other hand to stab anyone handy
in the back with behind-the-scenes market pressure.

There do seem to be many in top management at most of the major
hardware vendors who feel extremely embarrassed to have any visible
association with Linux (and any other openly community-driven
technology). (Further mumbling about bean counters and expected value
and such elided.)

> Server machines cost money,
> and so does the bandwidth. IMO HP should be thanked for providing that
> service, by our raising HP to a higher position on the potential list of
> products to purchase when we are in need of a printer or home server.
>
> Credit is nicely given at <http://debian.org/partners>, which I see a
> lengthy list of there.  No doubt the rest of that list also deserves our
> support if they are within the geographical range applicable.
>
> Those of us who care, should visit that link to keep ourselves up to
> date, because those who do support debian, deserve our support.
>
> TANSTAAFL principle at work folks.

Oh, the lunch has always been free, but there sure are a lot of goons
who seem to have nothing better to do than "protect" the free lunch
from the hungry people who need it. Either way, we need to do our part
to support alternatives whose expected value is not among the current
crop of assumed winners being bet on by the big money.

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Joel Rees