Re: /tmp/.X0-lock

> Does the PID in the lock file correspond to a running process?
>
> ps -f `cat /tmp/.X0-lock`

I get nothing from that command

> Are there any running instances of an X server?
>
> ps -fC Xorg

UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
root      2994  2812  0 17:36 tty7     00:01:23 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg :0 -seat
seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolist

that would be the one I'm using. I will try that command after stopping the
X-server

after stopping the X-server I ran: ps --fC Xorg
UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD

on running startx (as user) the X server failed to start with these error
messages:

(EE) could not create lock file in /tmp/.tX0-lock

Xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused

Xauth: error in locking authority file /home/charles/.Xauthority

the contents of this file is some machine language symbols and some
english -MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1   (and) mundo 0  -MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
(and that is all)

thanks for being patient,

--
CK