Re: How stable is the frozen stretch?

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 05:57:29PM +0300, G wrote:
Hello.
I'm new here so i would like to confirm/ask some questions.

First of all as far as i can understand Debian stretch is frozen. And is
becoming more and more stable since no more packages are added and from
now on the development team just fix bugs.

I'm thinking installing Debian testing (stretch)on my laptop and then
follow stretch but i am wondering what will happen when todays Debian
testing becomes stable. Am i have to reinstall Debian when testing
becomes stable?

In essence, "releasing" Debian merely involves changing the destination
of some links on the repository servers (there's probably more to it,
but this is the user-visible effect).

At the moment "stable" points to "jessie", "testing" points to "stretch"
and "unstable" points to "sid". On the day of release "stable" will be
made to point to "stretch", "testing" will be made to point to "buster"
and "unstable" will remain pointing to "sid" (sid is always unstable).

So the question remains as to how you refer to things in your
/etc/apt/sources.list. If you have the word "testing" in your
sources.list, then at the momnet, you'll getting the pre-release
"stretch" packages. After release, you'll move forward to "buster" and
you'll see the rapid influx of packages from unstable as the development
focus moves. If you have the word "stretch" in your sources.list,
instead, then you will move from "pre-released stretch" to "released
stretch" which should effectively mean no visible change at your end at
all.

I search around and found this https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
It has a section "How to use Debian (next-stable) Testing".

So if i understand it right i should:

1.Install Debian stable
2.Upgrade to testing by editing source.list according to the
instructions i found on that link.

Actually, if you want to install testing/stretch, you'd be better off
using the testing version of the debian installer:
https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ This will A) get you
straight into testing and B) include any installer-related changes that
you may need (for example, I recently installed to an NVMe drive, which
the stable installer couldn't see).

3.After Debian stretch becomes stable i should edit again source.list
file by uncommenting the security updates and other stable specific
lines that i commented on step 2.

I'm not missing something right?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--