Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 11:59:04AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Wed 04 Oct 2017 at 09:11:37 (+0300), Reco wrote:
> > A correct way to fix this is to "persuade" your DHCP server not to
> > provide DNS information.
> > Even more correct way is to force your DNS-at-DHCP to use 8.8.8.8 as
> > forwarder DNS.
> > Since it's unnaturally complex to do so in a consumer-grade routers, a
> > hack is in order.
>
> But won't that send local host lookups to google which won't have a clue?

Which problem are we attempting to solve, exactly?  I seem to recall
that the reported symptom was "I can't do apt-get update", which means
the priority is getting real Internet DNS resolution working.

If there's a need to add local area network hosts, then *after* the real
Internet DNS is working, the OP can decide whether to add LAN hosts
to /etc/hosts on each machine, or to set up a LAN DNS nameserver, and
wrangle resolv.conf and/or DHCP to point to it.  (Many steps and details
omitted here for simplicity's sake.)

Which way the OP *should* go depends mostly on how many LAN hosts we're
talking about.  Which way they *will* go... anyone's guess.