Re: x : keyboard not working

On Saturday 07 October 2017 07:33:17 Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 09:27:50AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > Gene: I agree: locate is really cool.
> >
> > Popping up your favorite editor window for each hit is left as an
> > exercise for the reader ;-)
>
> Man, some years back, after years of marketing and business meetings,
> I was in a sub-sub-sub-sub-directory containing may be half a dozen
> PDF files, but there was a subdirectory which had a couple I wanted
> open too, so I mosies right along with my fabulous Unix commands and
> does something like this:
>
>  find ./ -name '*pdf' | xargs -n 1 -I "{}" eval evince "{}" \&
>

> but, unfortunately, as in, very very unfortunately, I was so fast at
> typing and didn't double check and I wrote the line like so:
>
>  find / -name '*pdf' | xargs -n 1 -I "{}" eval evince "{}" \&
>

> (Notice the (sadly, as in, very sadly) missing period before the
>  slash!)
>

> Welp, ye olde Pentium 90 with 128Megabytes (‼‼!! - no such thing as
> ISO standard Mibibytes in those days, it was all completely diffident
> you see), and dang! did that computer crawl, and slow down, and
> basically came to a halt after a while as X window after X window
> steadily, slowly, then really slowly, opened up, one after another
> (now listen all you whippasnapperas, no laughing matter ok, we didn't
> have kernel mode setting, process groups and CPU affinities - just
> getting enough affinity between the graphics card and the mother
> bored was challenge enough I tells ya!)

I've seen w95/w98 machines do that from an overload of viri. Tain't purty
I tell yah.

> Well I had to reboot that computer with cackling hyenas in the
> background saying things like “well you should know not to launch
> an indefinite number of processes in the background”.

But yer poking around in my stomping grounds with yur old fart
characterizations. Uphill 2 miles in several feet of snow each way to
school etc etc. Generally speaking, I'm the real thing, turned 83 this
past Wednesday. There is one thing about advanced age, you get to
chuckle and grin when you realize you've out-lived the last of your
shoot on sight enemies. ;-)

> > Of course, if your editor is called Emacs, you can pull of that kind
> > of stunt from within Emacs, with clickable links for each hit. But I
> > disgress...
> >
> > Cheers
> > -- t

Cheers, Gene Heskett