Re: Help needed with home network configuration

Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 00:32:05 -0000 (UTC)
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>> If you have a device repeating a WiFi signal, it *will* use the same
>> channel as the upstream AP.  It *cannot* use a different channel.
>>
>> In the event you have a dual-band AP, and the following conditions are
>> true
>>
>>   - 5GHz uplink
>>   - 2.4 GHz for clients
>>
>> Then you are not "repeating" the WiFi signal to the downstream client
>> devices (and the throughput losses I mentioned would not come into
>> play).
>
> There are also apparently some units (even consumer grade ones), that
> have two diferent radios both on (different) 5 GHz bands, so one could
> use one for client access and one for uplink (although I have no
> experience with this):

Well, nice that they're starting to do that ... it's still a Linksys, so
(not having any experience with it either), I'd lean toward it not being
that great of a device.

But then again, my views are skewed by dealing with equipment that'll
handle 50-60 (active) connections per radio (anything more, and there's
simply not enough bandwidth on the AP -- granted wave-2 ac / MU-MIMO is
quite interesting in that regard).

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947