graphic tablet controls

I recently started using a Wacom Intuos Draw tablet. Its functions as a
mouse substitute are available as soon as I plug it in, and the
device is detected by the operating system. However, the tools
available in desktop environments for configuring buttons and drawing
functions don't detect the tablet, even though I can use the stylus in
the testing area for the tools. Nor does xsetwacom work from the command
line.

I have built and install the latest kernel modules for the tablet, and
added the appropriate lines in xorg.conf. Neither has any noticeable
effect. I have consulted the Debian wiki, as well as the Llinux Wacom
project, but nothing changes the situation. Any idea where to go from
here?

o ___o
Bruce Byfield (on Pacific time) 604-421-7189
Writer of "Designing with LibreOffice"
www.designingwithlibreoffice.com