Re: How to ensure that old kernel does not get removed

On Mon 07 Jan 2019 at 09:18:40 (-0500), songbird wrote:
> Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 08:45:37AM -0500, songbird wrote:
> >> APT::Clean-Installed "false";
> >> APT::NeverAutoRemove  { "linux-image.*";  };  // packages that should never
> >>                                             // considered for autoRemove
> >
> > Yeah, personally I'm all about that Never Auto Remove.
> >
> > wooledg:~$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99local
> > APT::NeverAutoRemove ".";
> >
> > This completely disables that "feature" and leaves my system alone, just
> > how I want it.
>
>   i've never gone to that extreme, i just want
> the previous kernel-images to not go away until
> i explicitly say to do so.  this means that i do
> have to go clean them out manually.
>

>   as an aside unfortunately for a default install
> the initial packages installed and used in the apt
> cache are cleared unless you figure out how to
> prevent that (via preseeding or some other method).
>
>   when you are trying to audit a system to know
> exactly what has been installed (and then replaced
> by what) it is rather annoying.  there are logs
> kept during install so the information is available
> but i also liked before that the cache was left
> intact until i explicitly requested it be cleared
> or adjusted in any way.

The very earliest package .deb files might never be downloaded to
/var/cache/apt/archives because they're already in
firmware-9.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso/iso9660://pool/ for example
but I haven't checked this out recently because of the
caching I do.

For example, the first package set up according to installer/syslog,
base-passwd (3.5.43) is here:
pool/main/b/base-passwd/base-passwd_3.5.43_amd64.deb 57656 Jan 16 2017

For those that are downloaded later in the installation, I rely on
apt-cacher-ng through which the installation takes place.

If you're not running a cacher, then the simplest way to grab these
packages is by running a shell on VC2 and

# mkdir /target/home/<first user>/somewhere
# cp -ip /target/var/cache/apt/archives/*deb /target/home/<first user>/somewhere/

Do this after configuring grub and before "Finish the installation"

Cheers,
David.