Re: Bluetooth audio problem

Mark Fletcher wrote:

> Hello
>
> Since upgrading to Stretch shortly after it became stable, I have had to
> execute the following after a reboot before being able to connect to
> bluetooth devices using the Gnome bluetooth applet:
>
> $ sudo pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover
>
> Without that command, needed once only after each reboot, the Gnome
> applet is unable to connect to any bluetooth audio devices, eg my
> headphones to be used as an audio sink, or my iPhone to be used as an
> audio source. Once that command has been issued once, everything works
> as it should, and continues to do so until the next reboot.
>
> I've been away for a couple of weeks and so hadn't installed updates to
> my stretch installation for something like 3 weeks, until Saturday this
> week when I installed updates. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough
> attention to exactly what was upgraded but I _believe_ I saw udev in the
> list of things getting upgraded.
>
> Now, when I run the above command it is erroring out with:
>
> xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
> Connection failure: Connection refused
> pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
>
> Googling for this has only turned up old information which does not seem
> to relate to the problem I am facing. In most cases the context is audio
> not working; in my case audio output through speakers plugged into the
> sound card is working fine, USB mic connected by a wire is working
> fine, the only problem is anything bluetooth.
>
> Bluetooth on this machine is provided by a USB bluetooth dongle which I
> have been using for ages.
>
> Can anyone suggest steps to diagnose?

When I want to debug pulse I do

echo "autospawn = no" > ~/.pulse/client.conf

kill PA and run it from command line with -v option you can also
use --log-level (man pulseaudio)

perhaps you can see what is the problem there. If not it might be dbus issue
with permissions - check the dbus settings

Also some times it helps to remove the ~/.pulse directory and restart
pulseaudio.

regards