GNU economics

Hello,

Debian webpage states about greedy of IT corporations. In my opinion it
is not so easy to state it. Of course current cloud offer of MS Office
for $12 per month would means one tryllion a year if 7 billion people
would subscribe. That would be insane. But in fact if 100 million would
subscribe they would probably be lucky.

That in economics is called elasticy. For one dollar we could probably
have 1 billion subscribes. If one entity would have to pay for Office
production it would not be created.

Price 0 for bugless software means freedom for users. For software
industry problem seems somewhat more complicated for me. Cost of
creating all debian packages is probably calculated in hundreds of
billions dollar. There are serious donations of code from corporations
just to mention openjdk, chromium, X server etc.

Cost of one hundred billion (maybe it is way to much) would mean that
one billion users would have to donate $100 dollar totally to pay off
Debian code.

What do you think about this ?

--
Marek Mosiewicz <marek.mosiewicz@jotel.com.pl>