Re: Don't disable recoomends by default

On 2019-07-12 22:17, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Vi, 12 iul 19, 20:21:08, Reco wrote:

I say - if the user wants to "break" a system by not installing the
Recommends - let them. Whenever it's curiosity, a way of learning
something new or just a wish to do an OS liposuction.

Sure.

Still, I would avoid recommending (ha!) turning off Recommends except if
a poster has a specific problem that might be solved by it (e.g. space
constraints).

Either way it won't break (a hint - Recommends weren't always the
default), or the user will learn something new in a process.

I'm pretty sure Jonas was around when that happened ;)

Besides, they don't call Debian the Universal OS for nothing. It can
tolerate the surprising amount of "breakage".

This is not about "breaking" Debian, but confusing the user (why does mc
open gziped files, but not zip?)

Kind regards,
Andrei

Being a user who hasn't read the policy I thought it was.

Requires: "This program won't work without these things."
Recommends: "These things can be called by the program and will improve it's functionality." Suggests: "I see what you are interested in doing. I want to be helpful, you don't have installed but have you seen these programs that do things in the same area."

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31