Re: MUA CLI IMAP and SMTP without ncurses interface

Quoting john doe (2020-01-06 15:55:12)
> On 1/6/2020 8:14 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I appreciate this thread - for me Steve's lumail was new info worth
> > a closer look!
> >
> > I currently use "afew" - a notmuch frontend ising Urwid to draw.
> >
> > On my laptops I use interimap - a more efficient alternative to
> > offlineimap (only available in unstable and testing currently).
> >
> > As MTA I use msmtp on laptops, and postfix, dovecot-imap,
> > dovecot-sieve and spamassassin on reliably connected hosts.
> >

> Quick questions, if I may:
> - Why would one need postfix if you can use msmtp and msmtp-mta (or
> are they simply alternative)

As others have mentioned as well, msmtp and other lightweight MTAs are
less reliable than postfix (and, some will argue, exim as well).

Only on systems which I use interactively do I dare use a lightweight
MTA: At those systems I accept the risk that when firing off the email
it may fail and I may then *LOOSE* the email (if the MUA used at the
time did not happen to preserve a copy that I can simply resend).

> - Why would one need dovecot-imap if you can use interimap/oflineimap

interimap syncronizes between imap accounts - it does not store on its
own.  That's different from offlineimap and similar which syncronizes
between imap and a local Maildir storage.

 - Jonas