Re: moose

On Wed 15 Jan 2020 at 02:11:26 (+0000), Russell L. Harris wrote:
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Have you tried either of Ctrl-r or R?
>
> Thanks, David; Ctrl-r does provide refresh without touching the
> rodent, but something has changed, because heretofore refresh has been
> automatic upon execution of latex.

It is so long since DVI files formed any part of my workflow that I
don't remember whether -watchfile was configurable back then (around
the turn of the millennium). I remember xdvi would update the display
upon the slightest provocation.

As soon as I switched to pdflatex, I started using a blink comparator
technique (between two fvwm viewports) which depends on one of the
PDF renderings remaining unchanged while the other (same PDF) is
updated (with r) each time the source is reprocessed. xdvi would
make that near impossible.

As you prefer automatic refreshing, you might consider adding the
-watchfile option to your ~/.Xresources file so that you don't
have to keep typing it.

Cheers,
David.