Re: Debian Stretch broken !

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020, 14:41 Bernard <bdebreil@free.fr> wrote:
Hi to Everyone,
Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I
thought I had to reboot.

But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."

So, I am writing this message from my other laptop running Ubuntu 14.04

I tried to reboot in rescue mode, but I don't know what to do from
there. 'startx' says that it doesn't have the proper files to launch
startx as root.

login
bd

says : wrong login (doesn't even ask a pswd)

I remember a few years back on older versions, I had used 'System Rescue
CD', but this said CD, provided that I find it, would probably no work
on this system

Thanks in advance for your help so that I can expect to boot my system
without loss of data

By the way: not only did I reset alsamixer prior to rebooting, also I
had accepted an automatic system upgrade this morning.

Bernard

Hi, Bernard.

I can't really help you with your specific current problem, but since you mentioned SystemRescueCD, I just wanted to note that a new version, SystemRescueCD 6.1.2, just came out a few days ago, 2020-03-29.

It is easy to write the .iso to a usb  thumb drive and run it from there.

The website, including instructions, is:

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org

Good luck!