Goal: a specialized inventory of installed packages

I moved from WindowsXP when Squeeze was the current release.
In the first year I did *many* installs from scratch to determine what I wanted in a final system (made much use of preseeding).

I currently have a configuration of Stretch that meets most of my needs.
As the installation was performed using the default Debian installer, there is a plethora of packages of no interest installed. As some important packages are not installed by default, apt and Synaptic were used to install them.

I'm setting out to do an _extremely_ custom *minimal* install of Buster.
The desired inventory shall list *ONLY* top level packages.
[ E.G. if gfortran was purposely installed, the ~dozen packages installed because they were tagged as depends, recommends, or suggests wold *NOT* be listed. ]

Is there a suitable tool? [Synaptic's History menu item is closest I've found].

TIA