Re: gnome-disk-utility User Session Defaults issue

On 5/8/20, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I made the labels for the  partitions during the original
> installation:
>
> /dev/sda1 = /  (primary partition)
> /dev/sda2 =     (extended partition)
> /dev/sda5 = swap (logical partition)
> /dev/sda6 = /home (logical partition)
>
> So /dev/sda2 has no label, as it is just an extended partition, which
> "holds" logical partitions:
> /dev/sda5
> /dev/sda6

Just thinking out loud because I've never seen labels like that.
Interesting that they can be named that way.

My question is: Is that the only hard drive with partitions named like
that? Just ruling out that maybe there's some kind of conflict if two
hard drives have the same layout..

Based on the line deletions reference in your other email, it sounds
like the program is not so subtly saying, "You can only have it one
way here. Either you do this thing you're doing through me, OR you can
have it the other way that you like in your fstab."

Maybe it's seeing some kind of obscure, deeply buried clash with the
longstanding Linux file system hierarchy?

That comes from renaming my own, each with a very different yet easily
remembered system. That way when I e.g. "mount LABEL=apthoard-disk1
/var/cache/apt/archives", my system's not quibbling with itself over
WHICH "apthoard-disk1" label I'm asking for if it were to find two (or
3... or 4.... or...) instead of only one labeled as such..

Sounds like SOME kind of "bug" because it momentarily makes the system
unusable. Maybe something in the documentation, maybe a new change,
references it?

It seems odd that it deletes and doesn't SOMEHOW replace something in
fstab that is how we boot our systems. If it's going to DELETE
something because it sees a conflict a user does not, it needs to
likewise intelligently guarantee that a system has something else in
place to follow through on the very next reboot....

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with.. a dire need for a lightning rod in the backyard. Long
term lightning induced Internet disconnects are gettin' real-l-l-l
old... *