Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

> 	If I were one to use a laptop - which I most certainly do not -

I think that's why you don't consider it unthinkable to carry around
such a thing along with your laptop.

What you're suggesting looks like the following to me:
- I go to my favorite café to work for the afternoon [ ah, the good ol'
  days before covid!  ]
- I take out my laptop
- I start to wo.... oh no, wait, I forgot, I also have to:
- take out my RAID disk
- plug it in
- notice that it needs power
- take out its power adapter
- look around to see where on earth I'm going to plug it
- wonder why I bother carrying a laptop with a battery if my drive needs
  a power outlet

> 	I wouldn't carry the array around, however.  It would sit either at
> 	home or at work (one and the same, for me) and I would access it
> 	through the internet.

So we're back at square one: your laptop wouldn't have a RAID drive and
neither your root partition nor your $HOME files would be protected
by RAID.  I'm glad we agree ;-0

BTW, if you care about RAID and about having a laptop, there are many
good options out there for laptops that can take two internal drives
(either 2x 2½" or 2x M.2 or a mix of the two).

        Stefan