Re: Buster with MATE without systemd

	Hi.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 07:28:34PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> So, my question is:  Can I replace systemd with sysvint and still keep MATE?

Exibit 1 (mate-core and systemd-sysv are installed):

# apt install sysvinit-core systemd-
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  caja dbus-user-session gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-daemons libpam-systemd
  systemd systemd-sysv udisks2
  initscripts insserv startpar sysv-rc sysvinit-core

Exibit 2:

# apt install sysvinit-core systemd- udisks2
 udisks2 : Depends: libpam-systemd but it is not going to be installed

Exibit 3:

# apt install sysvinit-core systemd- policykit-1
 policykit-1 : Depends: libpam-systemd but it is not going to be installed

So, to answer your question. It may be possible to keep assorted MATE
programs (text editor, terminal, etc) and have sysvinit-core installed.
But everything that makes MATE the DE (i.e. file manager, panel,
session, etc) is tied to either udisks2 or policykit, and you cannot
keep those (both require libpam-systemd) and have sysvinit-sysv.

Even if you cheat it with equivs, and create a replacement package
for libpam-systemd, both udisks2 or policykit - you'll just break those
and leave yourself with non-mounting storage media and without the
ability to suspend and poweroff.

Reco