Re: LEAN Debian install: Exploring task selection menu

On 9/19/2020 6:12 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Vi, 18 sep 20, 11:00:11, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

In my experience (own as well as assisting other newcomers), users
coming from Windows or Mac will be surprised by the mere existence of
different options here.

Most Windows users are completely shocked by the notion a computer can do anything but browse the internet and play solitaire. To them, computer = video monitor = internet. Frankly, I could not possibly care less what Windows or clueless Mac users find surprising. If soneone wants to cater to them, then that is fine (I suppose), but don't make that a problem for those of us who actually make our computers work for us.

"New" and "Stupid" are not the same thing, nor are "long time user" and "Stupid" necessarily mutually exclusive.

Best to keep it as simple as possible.

I doubt I could ever possibly disagree more. Make it FLEXIBLE, not simple. Make it POWERFUL, not limited. Make it CONFIGURABLE, not paternalistic. Make it clear and of extreme depth, not infantile. Give the user / admin ABSOLUTE CONTROL. Maintainers and developers should be making as few decisions as possible, which means offering every possible alternative.