Re: How to disable the screen locker on amd64 buster?

On Sb, 03 oct 20, 10:45:13, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 03 October 2020 08:12:56 Dan Ritter wrote:
>
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > The computer is controlling high powered machinery. Having the
> > > screen locker kick in, disabling our access to the application until
> > > we have wasted a minute typing on a poor keyboard trying to log back
> > > in can be quite dangerous when the machine has a runaway. Anything
> > > we do with xset is overridden before the 10 minute timeout is done.
> > >
> > > Some of us like xfce4, please advise how to permanently disable
> > > lightdm and its light-locker. _Forever_. We do know how to turn off
> > > the monitor at the end of the day.
> >
> > I would try
> >
> > apt remove lightdm light-locker
> and task-xfce, the meta installer file was also selected
> > and either installing xdm or just using startx to get X11 and
> > XFCE up when you want it.
>
> Which is for me, 100% of the time, so xdm installed.
>
> > -dsr
>
> did that and installed xdm, reboot is next. But apt claimed there were
> several hundred packages (353 count) that could be autoremoved.  Is
> that normal after an iso install and update to 10.6?

It's to be expected when you remove a high level meta-package, like
task-xfce you mentioned above.

> I did the autoremove, linuxcnc still runs, so I think we are in
> business.

For the archives:

  1. Inspect the list carefully, for any package you might need.
  2. Use 'apt-mark manual <package>' for the package(s) you need.
  3. Let 'apt autoremove' (with '--purge' if you prefer) take care of
  the rest.

Kind regards,
Andrei