Re: Building my own packages

Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> As a person with the FreeBSD background, I'm used to building my own
> packages with the exact build options I need (those include exim, nginx,
> samba, clamav and many others). FreeBSD has a good infrastructure for
> this (ports tree, poudriere et al.)
>
> Where can I learn to do a similar thing for Debian? I'd like to have my
> own package repository which:
>
> 1. Keeps my local patches and configure/build options.
> 2. Gets updated and recompiled when the main Debian repository gets updated.
> 3. Can have a higher preference for my Debian systems than the default Debi=
> an repositories.
>
> I know this can be done because I use some vendor repositories (zabbix,
> consul etc) but I need the tools and knowledge.
>
> What would you advise me to read?

  there is a ton of information under:

  https://www.debian.org/devel/

  what you want is possible, but it really gets harder
or easier if the package you are interested in is already
done by someone else, then you can just get the source
code for yourself that has already had most of the work
done to it up to whatever standards the debian packager
has and you can go from there.  the other aspect is if
the package is required or not so you can't remove it
without removing a lot of other things.  if it is a leaf
package or one that can be somewhat self-contained then
you can just remove the debian version and put your own
in the place and set up a watch on the repository to
see when changes happen.

  songbird