MariaDB database under /home

It is known that the maintainers of MariaDB deprecate the database files residing under /home, in fact going so far as making it an error, unless /usr/lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service has ProtectHome=true commented out.

Now, this is all very well, and I'm sure there are good reasons for it, but I want my databases to reside in /home. Unfortunately, each time there's an upgrade to the package my preferred setting gets overwritten, resulting in MariaDB failing to start, and my having to edit the service file on a number of machines.

I'd consider this a bug, but is there at least any way of making my change more permanent?

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |