Re: PARTIAL DIAGNOSIS of Installation problems

On Thu 04 Mar 2021 at 06:27:30 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 03/03/2021 09:22 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > I've one fine machine running i386 flavor of Debian 9.13 .
> > I've wish to install 64 bit flavor on a second machine.
> > debian-10.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso was successfully downloaded & saved.
> > It was copied to a USB flash drive and installation attempted.
> > Only did minimal install as I could not connect to internet.
> >
> > To eliminate possibility that second was itself defective I
> > attempted a multi-boot install to the first machine [Dell Latitude
> > E6410].
> > Essentially same result :{
> >
> > Connection to internet is via a T-Mobile Alcatel Linkzone Hotspot.
> > The WiFi connectivity programmatically disabled (i.e. it is
> > effectively just a modem).
> > It is detected by lsusb as:
> >       Bus 002 Device 008: ID 1bbb:0195 T & A Mobile Phones
> > No non-free driver is needed as none are on the working system.
> >
> > I attempted to configure the ethernet device with the numeric URL
> > the working machine uses when configuring it. The installer was
> > happy until it tried to connect to a chosen mirror. I tried 3 in
> > the United States and 1 in Canada. None worked.
> >
> > As I can boot a working Debian on that machine, all installer logs
> > for the failed install are conveniently available.
> >
> > Also I didn't find anything in
> > https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ telling details of
> > how to set up a "ethernet" device.
> >
> > What do I do now?
> > TIA
>
> What I do now is make yet another attempt to convey my problem.
>
> My universe consists of:
>   1. myself.

That could be a problem.

>   2. a laptop onto which I wish to install Debian using a netinst.iso .
>   3. an Alcatel Linkzone sold me by T-Mobile, my ISP.
>      T-Mobile erroneously ASSUMES that *all* customers will use it as a
>      WiFi Hotspot to create a LAN of up to 15 devices.
>      I, however, disable the WiFi as that function has *NO* value to me.

You say T-Mobile is your ISP. What equipment do they offer or provide
as part of that service?

When I look them up, I see just a cylindrical device providing WiFi,
Ethernet × 2, and telephone jack, at $50 pm with no data caps.
Or is that wrong?

>   4. Debian, absent *ANY* non-free drivers, which is slightly schizoid
>      in that:
>      a. it will happily connect to internet if it was installed from an
>         image of DVD1.

So make a nonce installation on the laptop, and use the tools in that
to discover what's absent¹ from the netinst ISO. Manually download
whatever's needed, and then install your netinst over the top.

>      b. its installer which assumes one has *exactly* 2 ways to connect
>             WiFi
>             "ethernet" N.B. the quotes and use of lower case

I have no idea what special meaning your use of Ethernet is meant to convey.

>   5. the internet which has all the privacy of a party-line from over
>      three score and ten in the past.

You wrote earlier "I'm not aware of any germane issue with my internet
service, nor with my ISP". As I see it, there are several:

1. You appear to have no Ethernet connection at all, but you're
   unwilling to use the connectivity they provide.

2. Your data cap precludes downloading another DVD1 for the new
   architecture.

3. Your new attempt to specify "the problem" adds the words "which has
   all the privacy of a party-line from over [70 years ago]". Does
   this indicate you should purchase a DVD set for the new architecture?

So I suppose I finally have to ask *the* question—do you actually
have an internet service, or are you just using a data allocation
that comes with a mobile phone service?

¹ I previously suggested "firmware", but it seems, rather, that you
  lack the drivers themselves.

Cheers,
David.