Re: Status update {Re: PARTIAL DIAGNOSIS of Installation problems}

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 15:00:07 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 09 mar 21, 06:32:33, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > On 03/08/2021 10:18 AM, songbird wrote:
> > > Richard Owlett wrote:
> > >
> > > before chasing down this rabbit hole, see if there is an
> > > upgrade for your current kernel on the debian backports
> > > site (for your processor and distribution type).  i just
> > > had an issue with a new device not being recognized and
> > > updated my kernel (for stretch) and it worked fine after
> > > that.
> > >

> > The more I think about my observed symptoms, it would seem logical
> > to be kernel related.
> >
> > If the Linkzone is physically connected when PC is turned on, the
> > boot process will hang until the Linkzone is disconnected.
>
> Please also provide info like the exact stage of the boot process,
> any (error) messages on screen, etc.
>
> I've seen this symptom with a laptop before, though it would hang at
> the BIOS stage (it was probably trying to boot from it), while you
> imply it's later.

Yes, it's fairly common. My desktop (Gigabyte MB, mumble-mumble years
old) does it. Only with some things: it won't try to boot from a
Kindle or mobile phone, but it will try from a USB stick. Depends on
the filesystem/protocol, I suppose. What it won't do is give up after a
time and try the next device, it will just hang permanently.

--
Joe