Re: Request: A Debian public Wiki repository/bank for complex code lines with examples, scripts, self-explanatory with terminal, otherwise Minimal explanatory texts

On Sat 03 Apr 2021 at 11:26:51 -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Friday, April 02, 2021 01:11:01 AM Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> > Thank you, Dr./Mr. Kramer, for taking time to post your kind inputs.
> > To me, the best possible option would be an organisationally hosted
> > wiki site with strict posting guidelines, and pages as described.
>
> Just a followup:
>
> I wasn't aware (until very recently when I saw it mentioned by somebody else
> in this thread, iirc) that there is a Debian wiki.

Amazing! An experienced and knowledgable user didn't know about our
wiki.

> I've done a verly little investigation into that, but could share more of that
> information if you'd like.  Some tidbits:
>
>    * the wiki is at https://wiki.debian.org/
>
>    * there is a sandbox at https://wiki.debian.org/WikiSandBox -- it is not
> quite what I am used to as a sandbox as it recommends against creating new
> pages (other than ones that would include new content)

Trivial.

>    * you can see a list of (some of?) the exising pages at
> https://wiki.debian.org/Wiki
>
>    * I get the idea that, at least to a certain extent, some of the people
> contributing to it want to organize things (at a high level) based on Debian
> distribution, e.g., Jessie, Stretch, Buster

Really? Name and pack drill?

> I would like to see the content well organized an focused as well -- I can
> envisage the need to label the content of pages with notes (metadata?) that
> indicate which Debian distribution the note(s) apply to, maybe which
> distribution it became effective with, as well as which distribution it became
> obsolete with (all of which on an "if known" basis.  I can also see the need
> for some similar metadata that is "orthogonal" to that -- for example, things
> like which desktop they apply to (KDE, GNOME, ...) or whether it applies to X
> windows or Wayland, but then that information also needs to designate which
> Debian distributions it applies to.

These things you see a great need for? It's a wiki. Guess what?

--
Brian.