apt-key says deprecated, but not saying what else to use

Hello,
Command apt-key and its man page say that apt-key is deprecated, but do not suggest an instead recommended tool. It is only mentioned that keys would now be organized in /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ . But how should I manage the keys saved there, for instance how to update them, or what tool of the Debian distribution is managing them there for the apt functionality of the Debian OS? Guiding me to a properly up-to-date documentation about this topic would be welcome!
Marco.